Saturday, March 17, 2007

T-Shirt Truths


Cambodia always impacts us - the kids, the passion of the workers, the transformed lives of the local church members - it's a great place to stop and takc stock of the important things in life. One of the young men was wearing a tshirt with the slogan: "You'll never know Jesus is all you need 'till all you have IS Jesus". Thoughtprovoking? We thought so. Many of the people here have so little - get past the western style facade that Phom Penh is hastily erecting and you find yourself in villages that have changed little. Subsistence farming, poor water supply (if any), shacks of palm leaves and bamboo, malnutrition in the children, disease and the still present danger of land mines. In some of the larger towns there is progress and many NGO's (Non Government Organisations) are doing valuable work improving living standards, equipping schools, building infrastructure. So what make the difference? How can the kids' pastor Vimean (pictured) look so happy? His office is under the corrugated iron roof of the church building - in the consistently hot climate of Cambodia the heat regularly 'melts' the computer systems in the church. But he doesn't complain. His smile says it all "I have Jesus and if I can introduce him to the kids in my city...my province...my nation I will give them the source of ALL they need." It's a challenge to me - I look at what I think I need......and all those things start to fade. As the old song says: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his glorious face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his goodness and grace."

By the way: Sue and I support Children in Crisis in Cambodia by selling woven cotton bracelets which come complete with photo card and brief history of kids being helped through this program. Each bracelet sells for US1 or $2 Australian. Let us know if you want some.

No comments: