Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Faith of Children

I work with children on a regular basis - sometimes behind the scenes writing or training workers, but at other times face-to-face in camps usually. We just finished a camp in the state of Washington with the New Hope International Church. Pictured is one of the young campers sharing some Bible verses via Biff, our blue puppet person. Kids - love to laugh, enjoy games and competition, have great imaginations and are wonderfully creative. And then there is their response to God - trusting, full of faith, ready to experience all He has to offer. Such are some of the kids we were with last week. As we sang "Supernatural God" we came to the line "All things are possible". Stopping the song there, I asked the kids to call out some impossibilities in their lives or the lives of their family members. We compiled a list on the whiteboard - jobs for dads who had been out of work for months, healing, miracles that were needed in many ways. To this list I added my own need - my left knee had somehow slipped out of alignment. I was limping, strapped up securely, and icing at every opportunity. A number of children volunteered to pray and started down the list. When they had finished, we thanked the Lord for hearing and went on with the songs. It wasn't until half way through the program that I suddenly realised I wasn't limping, I could bend my knee without pain and without collapsing! The simple prayer of a faith-filled child who knew the reality of a loving Savior was all it took. Thanks Lord! I love the privilege I have of being built up and encouraged by kids!

No comments: