Wednesday, June 24, 2009

FAITH OF OUR FATHERS....

Father's Day in the USA is in June, not September as in my home of Australia. This year I was able to spend it honoring Sue's Dad, Dale Carpenter. It has caused me to reflect on the "fathers" in my life.
1. Arthur Boyd - MY dad. A man of integrity, faithfulness and a great role model to me as I grew up. When he battled cancer, he did it with dignity and the assurance that his God was well-able to heal, but if not, then that was OK. I admit I was amazed at the strength of his faith in facing what he did - he had always believed he would see in the year 2000 and live a full life into his 90's just the way his mother did. He went to be with the Lord in March, 1993 and I still miss his wisdom and his total belief in me.
2. Richard Holland - my friend Hilary's dad. He was my pastor for many years, my friend almost as long and my spiritual dad. It's been just a year since he left at age 89. The way he handled personal onslaughts (health and others) taught me much. When wronged, he would say "It's alright, God knows and He will work it out" when I wanted to shout from the rooftops the injustice of the matter. He pastored a church with the heart of a shepherd who truly did lay down his life for the sheep.
3. Dale Carpenter - my friend and co-worker Sue's dad. A man of great faith, affection, steadfastness and incredible patience. Now robbed of physical strength and ability through aggressive MS he maintains dignity and continues to reach out to outhers in compassion. He loves to escape the house and get to visit people at church on Sundays, and is an inspiration to many people, including me.
The world needs more such men, such fathers.

No comments: