Saturday, November 24, 2007

THANKSGIVING I love the US tradition of Thanksgiving: the history (pilgrims and Indians) the food (pumpkin pie and caramelised sweet potatoes as well as the turkey) and the gathering of family. I called Sue's family in Boise to wish them greetings, and Sue's aunt Olive called out "do they have thanksgiving in Australia?" To which I retorted "No - we are an ungrateful nation." Of course they laughed, but after the call ended I did think about those words. Are we an ungrateful nation? Am I an ungrateful person? The answer to that one was easy "Definitely NOT!" And so here is some of my "Thankful" list.
I am thankful for:
  • family (extended and multinational) and close friends of all ages and nationalities
  • being born in a free nation where freedom to worship and freedom of speech and a 'fair go' for the common man are taken for granted
  • a house to live in (thanks Mum and Dad!) and a car that has served me well
  • health and energy to continue to work with kids and children's workers everywhere
  • enough money to pay my bills, put petrol in the car and food on the table
  • a Church that does make a difference in our community and beyond
  • and most of all for the God who created me, His Son who saved me, and The Holy Spirit who daily leads my walk called "life"

WOW....yes, I am thankful. How about you?
Link: Life, God, thankfulness
draft

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi fellow grateful sojourner in Australia, planet earth... YES I am very grateful to be ALIVE & WELL... making the difference God intended for me to fulfill...
AND ever so grateful to see the children grow up walking in the ways of the Lord as we do our best bringing them up HIS way. Jon's 21!!!*Cheer* Tom's planning his 21st...mmm Jaymie next... would I be baking her cake???